Wednesday, March 10, 2010
Yesterday (and this morning) I made a new pinafore for my daughter. I already have a red one that I believe still fits, but I don't like the way it looks with her pink and white dress. I thought I'd use the dimensions from The Workwoman's Guide found on page 30, but put it together more like Elizabeth Stewart Clark recommends in her 1-2-3 Pinafore.
I made the size for a child of 6 years (although, my child is a 4-year old more the size of a 5-year old.
Depth of arm-hole 6.18"
Piece left for shoulder 2.81"
Quantity hollowed out of neck .56"
Length of frill to each arm-hole 22.5"
Depth of frill 1.68"
Distance from top for 2nd tape 5.62"
Size of gussets 1.68" (didn't use)
I did make the neck a bit deeper at the front, 2", I believe, but left the back at the .56.
I cut my ties 1" x ??" (however long looked right). I ironed both long edges to the middle, as well as the raw short ends in 1/4", folded that in half the long way and stitched the open edge together. I like the ties in it (versus buttons) because it is very adjustable. The ties also bunch it up nicely as gathers would have (but without gathering).
I cut the pockets 4.25" wide by 5.25" high. I ironed each edge in 1/4", and pressed down the top another 1" and stitched it down. I positioned the pockets 8" down from the top, and each pocket is 1.5" out either direction from the center.
I think it took me about 3 hours, but looking at it, it looks like it should have taken 1 to 1 1/2. Must have been those ruffles. I could have just folded the fabric around the arm openings inward and stitched it down. That would have been much faster, but the ruffle is cute.