Thursday, June 17, 2010

Drafting Drawers

I've had a few people ask me for help with their pantaloons (or more correctly, drawers) for trek. Since I didn't have any of my own to loan out, I thought I'd better come up with something that I could sell them (because I don't want a whole bunch lying around here to be loaners). Since I didn't want to violate any copyrights on patterns, I thought I'd better figure out how to draft a pattern. Oh boy. This is new territory for me.

I started out with The Workwoman's Guide (Plate 7). Surprisingly the overall pattern shape/size was somewhat similar to my Butterick one. However, the curves were different (non-existent in the Workwoman), so the fit was just weird to me (plus, I didn't take into account that there would be some overlapping of the center seam, so they were extra baggy...). I knew Liz Clark has a pattern for split drawers, but I shouldn't sell what I make using her patterns, and I can't imagine trek people would be too interested in split drawers anyway.

So, I went to Google for pajama bottoms. I first found Leena.

Then I found Craft and Fabric Links for PJ bottoms.

Then I found a free shorts pattern that happened to be on graph paper.

Then I found more graph paper.

I learned a ton of stuff; it was great!

I was able to draw out different measurements on the graph paper and still have one shorts pattern helping me know I was on track!

It really turned out well. If you have graph paper and measurements, it's quite a breeze (but only if you're in split drawers.  Hehe.)!

Just remember, these drawers are NOT AUTHENTIC!  But hopefully no one will be looking up your dress to check!

I was able to help a young woman in our ward today sew her own drawers.  It was so much fun.  She sewed down the basement and I'd instruct her on each step.  Next we'll make her a Not-So-Pioneer Skirt.  It's neat helping her learn better how to sew!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails