Thursday, June 6, 2013

Better Bonnets


I decided it was time to upgrade my girls' bonnets from my fakey-made-up pattern (the free one here) to something more authentic.  Once I realized Liz Clark's slat bonnet pattern was multi-sized I thought I'd give it a go.

I started with the smallest size that said 0-1 and figured that would fit our baby.  However, I found it really is for a little baby (infant), so it was too small for us (plus my kids really do have big heads!).  But, I found a cute baby to try it on!  The Tot size (1-3) would have worked better for my needs.


Next I made one for my 3 year old using the Girl 1 (3-7) size.  She wouldn't try it on or let me take a picture.

Then, it was time to try out the Girl 2 (7-13) size for my 7 year old.  Again, it turned out great, and she even let me take pictures.




For the curtain I used this awesome rolled hem stitch that I learned from Liz at her day cap class.  It is now my favorite hand-stitching technique.  Obviously, it works great when you need a small hem, but it works wonders on curves.  Basically you work using a very small fold on the edge of the fabric stitching at the top of the fold then right below the fold (like a zig zag).  When you get several stitches in a row, you pull your thread and your hem rolls up nice and tidy.  I'm in love.



Somewhere between making bonnets, I got on Pinterest and found a bonnet that Sarah Jane at Romantic History had made that I wanted to try.  It wasn't until later I saw she had a tutorial!  That project will be my next post!!  So excited!

One reason I wanted to try her bonnet was she gave a nice little primer on types of bonnets.  

Corded bonnet (I've never made one):
  • visually attractive
  • very stiff when starched (but collapses in the rain, or wilts in humidity)
  • needs quite a bit of cording to hold up
Slat bonnet:
  • holds up well in weather (since I used thick paper in mine, I'm not sure how well that would do in the rain; ahem, I guess all the reason to cheat and just use heavy interfacing)
  • cannot be folded back to increase your view (this is what really inspired me to make a quilted bonnet.  If my kids can see better out of their bonnets, they're more likely to keep them on.)
Quilted bonnet:
  • attractive
  • stiff brim without starch
  • can be folded back
  • warmer than slat and corded bonnets




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails