Friday, July 21, 2023

Trek 2023 Muddy Creek, Wyoming

Daughter on left with my yellow dress and apron. Daughter on right with my 1997 dress and favorite green apron.

My husband and two older daughters got to go on trek this year to Muddy Creek, Wyoming for 3 days and 2 nights. My husband served on the activities committee. I suppose I didn't get asked to go because I'm currently serving as the ward Young Women's president. I was a little bit sad to not go, but summer's been so busy that it would have been exhausting to fit another thing in. I've been saying I got to go to girls' camp (which was combined with the YM, so it was really an all youth camp), and he got to go to trek, so we're good!

My husband grew out of his plaid pants that I made him years ago, so this year, we hit the DI and found for $8 the most light weight pinstripe pants. They are a washable synthetic blend (nylon and something else), and he said he had to look down a couple times while on trek to make sure he was wearing pants! He said they were nice and cool as compared to the thick cotton ones I'd made him. He ended up liking them so much that he wants to wash them and wear them to church! We also found a pair of 100% summer-weight wool pants that have never been hemmed (i.e. new)! I was going to hem them for trek, but then he decided just to keep them for church!

Both our daughters are thinner than me, but the older one was able to wear one of my yellow dresses along with a cowgirl skirt my mom made me in 1993! She paired that with one of our son's old Sunday shirts. This year's trek clothing guidelines were pretty casual. They encouraged "Pioneer" attire, but if for health reasons or strong opposition, they could wear hiking clothes (the funniest combo I saw out of this was women wearing some sort of pants with a Pioneer apron!). Anyway, I had my two old (and favorite) aprons left from years past, so each daughter needed another apron. I guided our older daughter through making herself a Wild Kratz apron, but the younger one didn't want to sew, and I ended up making her a pretty skirt and apron. The younger one also wore my old purple dress (top/skirt combo because I was too cool to wear a dress) that my mom made me in 1997, plus it's been worn on more treks! Our daughters were able to fit my old skirts because I once had a skinny waist, too!

The older daughter borrowed my straw hat, but at camp in June, the younger one wouldn't even wear her river hat, so I wasn't too excited to buy another straw hat for her. I told her just to wear her river hat since "hiking clothes" were fine. She wore her river hat for about 20 minutes the whole trek, so I'm glad we didn't buy another hat! Can you guess which daughter has a sunburn?

As for shoes, I didn't want to spend a lot of money on hiking shoes. I'd like to say we are a hiking family, but the only time we were was during the pandemic, so my guess is these shoes would only be used for trek. I found a lady nearby on the KSL Classifieds selling lightly used shoes that she finds and re-sells! Perfect!! Each pair was only $30-$35. I was disappointed though that the morning of trek, the older daughter reverted to an old pair of Nikes that she never liked, so the "new" shoes didn't make it on trek!? I'm happy to report that neither daughter got blisters, though, only my husband who used his trek hiking shoes from 4 years ago. Also, they say they're hiking Timp next week, so I suppose the shoes will get used another time!

Overall, it was a pretty easy year to get ready for trek!

New skirt and apron with a top from the DI.

1 comment:

Goodman said...

I'm grateful for the valuable insights you share regularly.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails