Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Period Impressions Button Fly Trousers (775)

A week or two I finished these trousers for my husband.  We've been asked to go on trek next summer, so I thought it would be fun to get him something more authentic than what he has.  I borrowed the Period Impressions Button Fly Trouser (775) pattern from TITP.  It worked okay.  It was missing one pattern piece -- the pocket facing, but I was able to fake one.  More detailed instructions would have been very helpful.  I tried so hard to get my plaid lined up, but even with all the work I still messed it up.  Oh well, better luck next time.  I don't know that I've ever lined up plaid before.  I was originally going to make a broadfall pant that had a more narrow leg, but learned that was from a slightly earlier era and decided to go with the button fly instead, which used more fabric, so I ended up piecing part of the back-bottom leg to make it all work.  There's a watch pocket in these and I was totally shocked that I was able to figure that out.


My poor plaid!

Skinny, skinny, skinny!

I would have liked to have used Past Patterns #014 or Laughing Moon #119, but went for the free one.


I also got inspiration from these Lynch Plaid Trousers from the Gentleman's Emporium.


According to the ladies at the Civilian Civil War Closet Facebook page, plaids toned down a bit as the war got closer, so since we'll be doing a 1856 impression next summer, I thought the big plaid would be awesome.  The bigger plaid also designates a more casual pant apparently.  My husband likes these so much he's threatened to wear them to work. On the pattern I used, someone had written that a twill would work.  I couldn't find any plaid twills at the fabric store, but I could find some pretty cool 100% cotton home decorator fabrics that are a bit heavier, so that's what I went with.  I hope it won't be too heavy, but he can always wear different pants to trek in, and these can just be when he's trying to look a little fancier/more authentic.

1 comment:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails