My apologies for not documenting which detail came from which site!
Can be made of:
- cotton shirting
- cotton blue jean
- cotton jean
- stout cotton
- woolen carpet
- sail cloth
- cotton webbing
- canteen cotton webbing
- twill tape
- cotton tick ("heavy, sturdy fabric with a close, even weave" http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-ticking.htm)
- braided leather
- brown/tan checkered
- red striped ticking
- 1-2" width (specifically mentioned 1 3/8" or 1 1/2")
- 52" long
- hand sewn 7 stitches to the inch
- brown/blue linen thread on the cotton jean
- 2 separate straps crossed over in back either right over left or left over right
- Can be stitched together in back to form an "X"
- 1 - 2 buttonholes in the front and the back (to allow for adjustments)
- Rather than permanently stitching back together, can take a 6-8" long piece of fabric/webbing/tape and stitch either end of it on the inside of one of the straps about 4 - 5" above the back buttonhole. Then, slip the 2nd trap through that to hold he back together.
These two articles actually have references!!