Monday, May 3, 2010

Haversack Tutorial


So I don't know what the difference is between a haversack and a possibles bag, but after researching haversack, here's what I came up with.

I used some cheapo cotton muslin. This was a BAD IDEA. The strap is going to rip right out the second my boy drops a couple rocks in the bag. One source I read mentioned using "heavy cotton muslin," but perhaps a comparable choice would be white/natural canvas.

How I did it:

Body
1. I cut a piece 13" x 33".


2. I pressed under both my 13" edges 1/2" and stitched them down. (If you are not using a selvage edge on the upper edge of your body, I'd turn that edge down twice to hide your unfinished edge. I just folded my flap edge down one time because it will later be folded to the inside of the bag and stitched down.)


3. Then, I folded one end up 12" and stitched and re-enforced either side. I used a zig-zag to re-enforce (hint: NOT PERIOD).

4. While still inside out, I folded the flap down to meet the upper finished edge of the body.


5. Then I stitched either side of the flap.

6. Then I turned everything right side out. I did some top-stitching along all four edges of my flap.


Strap
7. I cut another piece 6" x 44" (I didn't need it quite that long, but I'll shorten the strap later with a knot or something). I used 6" wide so I'd be able to self-strengthen my strap. I pressed it lengthwise down the middle, pressed in my short ends 1/2", then pressed the top half and the bottom half into the center.


8. Then I stitched around all four sides.


9. Then I fastened the strap to the back of my bag.


All done! You could add a button or two or three on your flap. Maybe I'll do that later, or maybe I'll just leave it.

I think this took about 30 minutes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Could you attach a video or make your steps clearer? I wasn't quite sure what to do on steps 3 - 6. I don't know if it's just me or if they weren't clear enough for people who've never made a satchel to understand. Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm just trying to find something to take on a trek. The only reason I'm commenting is because I love your design and it's the best one I could find. Thank you for understanding.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails